LibreCAD has been part of Google Summer of Code (GSoC) for many years. This page helps students to get involved and links to previous years' information.
The LibreCAD participation was always under the umbrella of BRL-CAD. Sean from BRL-CAD does a great job leading us CAD/CAE/CAM (or short CAx) projects through several years of Google's Summer of Code. But this was not always clear and mixed up things sometimes.
So in 2019 we start another approach with a collective Github account to make it more clear, that we are independent projects, each with its own community, maintainers and communication channels. Nonetheless, we CAx projects are working close together and try to find and use synergies.
Most details about our prerequisites and participating rules are on the common OpenCAx website now. The issue tracker at OpenCAx's GSoC repository on Github is the place where all application ideas are collected. Each issue represents a possible project idea for GSoC and gives opportunity for questions and first contact.
Below is a short checklist to help students get set up quickly. Items are categorized to help you prepare your application, get set up to work, and become familiarized with basic infrastructure.
There are some steps you as a student have to take to participate in GSoC. These are listed below to help you quickly understand what GSoC is about, what project ideas there are, and how to get involved.
- Please checkout our project! See our project ideas on OpenCAx's issues. If you don't see a nice project, but you do like LibreCAD and have a nice idea you might want to implement, then let us know!
- Introduce yourself to us: join the IRC channel (
#firstname.lastname@example.org) or Zulip, email us, whatever — but do get in contact!
- Begin your application (see our guidelines).
- Discuss and share your project details, the sooner the better. The sooner you know what you want, the better it is for the mentors. If you have question, don't hesitate to ask — we love feedback.
- You are sure you want to work with us? Great! Go to your Summer of Code Dashboard and Submit your application.
- Make a useful patch for us, show us your skills and surprise us! It's not really required, but it would help us greatly to understand what sort of person and developer you are. You might not be the only one submitting for LibreCAD and we have limited slots.